Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Momma's Got a Squeezebox..............

Many of you know that we moved in August of last year.  At our old house, the first home improvement project I did was wire my living room based stereo to zoned speakers in my kitchen, which could also be faced outward to the backyard.  This involved running wire through my basement, a weaving wire distance of about 100 feet, and all the Monster Cable you can eat.  Music is so important to us, and having a house full of it was essential.  This was done November 1998, and worked perfectly until the day we moved out.

The notion and technology of music delivery (formerly known as radio, stereo, etc.) has changed just a little bit since 1998.  There were no iPods in 1998.  There was no satellite radio in 1998.  We used CD's.  I still made mix tapes in 1998 (you all did it, so shut up).  I occasionally listened to the actual RADIO - yes, stations picked up locally through the antenna mounted behind the stereo cabinet.  To top it off, our TURNTABLE was still hooked up.  We still did VINYL night on New Year's Eve.  I believe an AARP card just got sent to us. 

The biggest difference for us, however, there was no Pandora in 1998.  Pandora is one of a number of Internet-based music sites, and happens to be the one we enjoy the most.  Besides being completely free, Pandora allows you to create your own personal radio stations based upon artists and/or songs you want to put together.  You can create as many as your little heart desires, with as much nuance as you want.  Kathleen and I have created a ton of different stations that meet our unique tastes.  For example Kathleen has her "Folky" station, which broadcasts things like John Denver, Judy Collins, Roger Miller, etc.  I have my "Funk" station, where I can get The Brand New Heavies, Liquid Soul, Parliament, etc.  We collaborated on a station by selecting roughly 50 songs as a basis that we heard played on eclectic 104.9 out of New Jersey.  Needless to say, we dig Pandora.

With Pandora access built into our Blue-Ray player, it was just an Ethernet cable away from being able to be broadcast on our main stereo in the family room.  That was the first home improvement project I did in this house!

Recently, we were sitting outside, and quickly realized that we had a music issue - there was no music.  Logistically, I can't easily get speakers outside, or facing outside.  We needed a solution.  We wanted our Pandora on our back patio.  My buddy Jim picked up, and highly recommended the Sonos, which could do that, and a whole heck of a lot more.  I'm certainly not cheap, but its pretty substantial pricetag was more than I wanted to drop for music on my back patio.  Back to more research and the proverbial drawing board.

Cue the Sunday paper and its ads.  BOOM, the answer.  (cue Angelic humming) The Logitech Squeezebox!



This device wirelessly connects to our home network, provides access to all our Pandora channels and hundreds more Internet-based music channels.  Kathleen found a great Disney channel for Alex.  Plus you can hook your iPod up to it, as well as load the Squeezebox Server onto your laptop to stream content from your own iTunes repositories and playlists.  This product is a perfect example of form and function at an attractive price - it was $149 on sale.  Music now flows on the back patio!

8 comments:

  1. What about your car? I have been waiting for that since Rob Glaser broke streaming audio out of the video standard and started Real Networks. Phila is a wasteland on the radio dial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my car, I have my iPod integrated and Sirius Satellite Radio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone know of some sort of wireless hook-up for TV? The Big Dog Saloon at Kenny's Kabana is technology challenged for TV reception. We have great music but while folks are sitting poolside, sipping boat drinks I'd love to be able to put the game on, sound down.

    Any techno-geek input is greatly appreciated and entitles you to free food and drink at Kenny's Kabana throughout the Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked into that a little bit to, since I have a TV in our bedroom, no cable hookup, and I desperately loathe giving more money to Comcast for another box and installation.

    This is the highest rated solution I've found: http://www.amazon.com/RF-Link-AVS-5811-5-8GHz-Transmission-Repeater/dp/B0002EXJ8Y

    I may get it, and let you know how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got my husband a Squeezebox last week for his birthday thanks to your recommendation and he loves it! We were listening to a British station yesterday, emailed them and got a shout-out! Lots of interesting stuff to hear thanks to that squeezebox!
    Now I just gotta shell out the extra cash for the battery pack and we'll be all set.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome Suzanne, glad Kale liked it!!! Funny you mention the battery - I just ordered that yesterday from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had a Squeezebox for years now. I love it and Pandora has worked out great. And yes, I'm running it into a 1985 receiver that works just fine. Now I'm into Spotify when I'm sitting at my computer and I hear you can also get that on squeezebox. (Although I think you have to pay). Spotify changes the game totally! There is no reason to actually buy music anymore. My next project will be to dump Comcast TV and get all my TV from the internet.

    ReplyDelete