Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Inside the Thought Process

First Blog post in a while, and the first of 2013.  I hope to bring much more to the blog table in 2013.

As I've talked about before, I really enjoy cooking (and eating, of course).  It seems based on Facebook posts from friends that I know many other foodies.  Several friends also have dedicated food blogs.  Pretty cool, actually.

Thought I would walk those interested through my personal approach to creating and trying to make something new.

This past Sunday, the family went for a full grocery shopping excursion to our local Giant.  We haven't done a full run in a long time.  Got all the necessary staples to restock our pantry and fridge properly.  Got supplies for a weeks worth (and more) of breakfasts, lunches and dinners.  Only issue is that our Giant has very basic "proteins" aka meat and seafood.  I was food-jazzed, and the Giant just didn't cut it.

So, after unloading and unpacking all our stuff, I declared that I was going up to the Collegeville Wegmans to find something "fun" to make.  No recipe in mind, just looking for inspiration.







My first job was as a Produce Clerk in the Liverpool, NY Wegmans.  I've been preaching the Gospel of Wegmans here in Philadelphia for decades.  Used to visit Wegmans on my visits back to Syracuse, and would marvel at how much better it was than the portfolio of groceries in the Philadelphia area.  Now, Wegmans has come to me, and is my "go-to" spot for special meal supplies.

Now, what to make?

Wandering through the hot food areas for ideas.  ooooh.....Sushi area.   Look at those crabcakes.  Venturing down to meats....Berkshire Pork.  Wagyu!!!!!  Cowboy Veal Chop.  So many options. Wegmans carries duck, so I meander over there.  No duck.

But wait.....

What can I do with Duck Bacon????  That sounds yummy.  So, I look around some more.  Notice boneless turkey breasts.  Brain working.  Turkey is next to chicken.  TURDUCKEN!!!!!  Thank you Paula Deen. Now, how can I incorporate chicken without having something that will take 5 hours to cook?  Wegmans has various chicken sausages.  BANG.  Apple-Maple Chicken Sausage - precooked even.  Will add a nice complement to the richness of Duck Bacon.


Now, what delivery vehicle?  Clearly, a Roulade!  As close as you can get to taking these things and stuffing them in each other.  First step, lay out the bacon.  Second step, take thinly sliced turkey, and lay on top of the bacon.  I seasoned with Lowry's salt and Herbs de Provence......


Next, place the Apple-Maple Chicken Sausage roughly in the middle.......

Finally, use the edges of the foil to help roll this into the desired "roll" end shape.  I refrigerated the wrapped up roll for about 30 minutes before placing in the pan.

Then,  I placed in a preheated 400 degree oven.  Wasn't quite sure how long to cook this thing for, so I set the timer for 30 minutes.  Wanted to reach an internal of 165.  Checked at 30 minutes, and we were at 148, a little low for my liking - even remembering that the temp will go up 10 degrees while resting.  Put it in for 10 more minutes.  That did the trick, got up to 158, resting would do the rest.  Placed on serving platter to look pretty.....

There was no greater feeling than cutting and plating these succulent roulades.  Looked and smelled spectacular.  Served with buttered baby red potatoes and sugar snap peas with garlic and mint......

Everyone loved it - including our six year old.  It was incredibly moist and flavorful.  The apple-maple chicken sausage really did cut the richness of the duck bacon.  The turkey stood out on its own as well.  So, I think I've stumbled upon a great way to take the mysterious Turducken, and make it accessible enough for a family dinner.

Hope you enjoyed this, and let me know if you try this yourself!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you have a Wegmans now!!!! What a fun journey to dinner that was>

    ReplyDelete